Guest blog by Stefanie London, author of Only the Brave Try Ballet
I love books that throw unlikely pairings together. In my debut novel, Only the Brave Try Ballet, I put a former wild-child football player and an ex-professional ballerina together...oh, and I made the footy player take ballet lessons just to make him extra uncomfortable. Grant and Jasmine do seem like an odd couple, but they find more commonalities between their lives and their careers than they first expect. Jasmine has the tough task of convincing Grant that the ballet lessons will help him.
So why would a football player take ballet lessons? Here are a few reasons I came up with:
Ten Reasons Football Players Should Do Ballet:
- Flexibility – both his and hers!
- Core stability – important both on the footy field and in the bedroom
- Sweat – ballet may not look it, but it’s an amazing work out
- Ballet teachers – much better than what a footballer will find in the men’s locker room
- Strength – ballet works the whole body, but it’s especially great for thighs and calves
- Injury prevention – all that stretching is great for keeping muscles and joints injury free
- Increased body awareness – holding ballet positions increases awareness of how the body moves and the muscles work
- Mental challenge – many football players started when they were kids, they know the game inside out. Ballet is a whole new world for them to conquer
- Romance – ballet is romantic and passionate, maybe the footy players could pick up a few tips?
- Love – they might just meet the love of their life…Grant Farley sure did!
Step up, Grant Farley…not your typical ballet student!
Football pro Grant Farley is nursing an injury and needs to get back into shape—fast. Ballet wouldn’t be his first or even his last choice, but he’s desperate. Enter tantalizingly prim teacher Jasmine Bell—one disapproving arch of her eyebrow and Grant knows he’ll enjoy getting her tutu in a flutter!
But it’s not only Grant’s flexibility that Jasmine’s pushing to the limit! He knows she feels the heat between them, so why won’t she give in to it? Time to convince Jasmine that if she’s brave enough to dance en pointe she can certainly handle a fling with him!
Author Bio: Growing up, Stefanie came from a family of women who loved to read. Her favourite activity was going shopping with her Nan during school holidays, where she would sit on the floor of the bookstore with her little sister and painstakingly select the books to spend her allowance on. Thankfully, Nan was a patient woman.
Thus, it was no surprise Stefanie was the sort of student who would read her English books before the semester started. After sneaking several literature subjects into her ‘very practical’ Business degree, she got a job in Communications. When writing emails and newsletters didn’t fulfil her creative urges, she turned to fiction and was finally able to write the stories that kept her mind busy at night.
Now she lives with her very own hero and dreams of travelling the world. She frequently indulges in her passions for good coffee, French perfume, high heels and zombie movies. Recently she gave up her day job to write sexy, contemporary romance stories and she couldn’t be happier.