Guest Blog by Samantha Spencer and Carolina Jordan
We know. The above title might seem a bit strange—what with the whole bro-code, surely dating your ex’s brother is taboo, right? Especially a twin brother, such as in our sassy holiday romance, Unwrap Me. But see, we think there are a few reasons when this code should be ignored—when you should embrace what you really want, societal rules be damned. And here’s our handy-dandy top ten list of reasons why we think it’s okay for you to shuck those rules…and we’d love to read your ideas in the comments!
- Hey, you’ve already done the whole, “meet the parents” thing, so that’s one less nerve-wrecking experience you have to go through. Win!
- If the brother happens to be a twin brother like Brody/Blake, you’re clearly digging the whole gene pool already. Just because one of them is a jerk, it doesn’t mean the other is too.
- In fact, you’ve seen how well he treated his previous girlfriends. And now, you want your own knight in black leather
- Speaking of exes, you’ve heard from them all about his sexy and highly creative use for Nutella, and you’re dying to experience that for yourself
- Remember those old double-mint gum commercials? Sometimes double the trouble is really just double the fun.
- You’re thinking of the family—their parents won’t have to cut you out of any precious family photos. By keeping it in the family, you’re doing everyone a favor, really.
- While you were with the wrong brother, you got to know the right one. You formed a friendship and shared inside jokes. He supported you when your own boyfriend didn’t. And you couldn’t help wondering how different it would be if you were with him.
- When times were better, you probably imagined your first name attached to his anyway…what woman doesn’t? So why should you give up the last name you’ve grown to love? Now you can keep on envisioning it as your own one day.
- Because if you were to be really honest, you secretly wished it was he who had asked you out to begin with
- And the number one reason you should date your ex’s brother …drum roll please….Because clearly, he’s the better brother.
And here’s an excerpt from a scene in a karaoke bar in Unwrap Me to show you that Brody would agree with and whole-heartedly approve our list:
“But you know the song All I Want For Christmas?”
Brody nodded, confused. He knew it, but he was pretty sure only a chick sang it.
Reading his face, Peyton explained. “Last year, Mariah Carey redid it as a duet with Justin Bieber.”
The horror of the situation crept over him. “You’re making me Justin Bieber?”
“Hey, the boy can sing,” she said, defending the pop idol. “And he happens to be plastered on every teenage girl’s room in America.”
“Because that’s my fantasy, to be the star of every love-struck girl’s daydreams.” Brody rolled his eyes, but couldn’t help smiling. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d had this much fun just hanging out with a girl. But Peyton wasn’t just any girl. He looked across the table and held her gaze. Lowering his voice, he said, “But I wouldn’t mind starring in a few of yours.”
Okay, the line was cheesy; he knew it. He wasn’t Blake, full of shitty canned lines that were as heartfelt and genuine as a Hallmark card. Brody always shot it straight, and when it came to women, he never worried about the whole pick-up line thing. If he liked someone, he told them. If he wanted them, he went after them. The only reason he didn’t go after this woman years ago was out of respect, however undeserved, for his brother. Actually, it was more like man code than respect. But now, all bets were off.
Because Brody had never wanted anyone as much as he wanted Peyton.
Unwrap Me by Samantha Spencer and Carolina Jordan
Sometimes double trouble is anything but…
Out of sight is truly out of mind. At least that’s what Peyton Wagner hoped when she accepted a teaching assistant job out of town, and away from her abusive ex, Blake Hunter. But as Peyton soon discovers, her new job comes with unexpected and deliciously tempting surprises. When her past and present collide in a shocking yuletide twist, Peyton has to choose between playing it safe, or risking it all for the chance at a new future with Blake’s brother Brody, and the gift of true love.
About the Authors: Samantha Spencer grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland, loving to read anything magical. Now living in Ontario, she’ll forever be a dreamer, a believer in the happily ever after of it all, dizzying romances, and swoony guys. Oh, and kissing–lots and lots of kissing.
Carolina Jordan grew up in New Orleans, where she watched soap operas with her grandmother and stayed up late sneak reading her mama’s favorite romance novels. Now an adult, she’s still addicted to romance, staying up late reading and rereading her favorite romances, only now she is able to do so openly.
They also both love writing middle grade and young adult fiction under the names Shannon Duffy and Rachel Harris.