Guest blog by Sandra Scholes
A male friend of mine once met me at a discreet corner of Waterstones book store. While I browsed the romance section, watching me reading the blurb on the back cover - he snatched it from me, read it and started to laugh while people passed us by, probably thinking we were odd, or worse, mad.
I asked him what was funny, and he said "Have all the heroes and heroines in these books got weird names?"
It was my turn to laugh then. I took the book back off him, putting it back on the shelf, and picked up a couple more, handing them to him while he read the back covers. Within minutes he almost fitted with laughter.
The thing is, I have been reading these books for years, and the thought of the names being even slightly hilarious had never crossed my mind. I thought they were well written, the characters had spirit, they leapt off the page - the last thing I thought of was how funny their names were, but Dominic made me sit up and listen, and when I looked a bit closely at the names, it wasn't long before I would understand what he meant - it doesn't stop me from reading them though!
Here area some of the funniest names I've seen so far:
- Dorothea Darent: A Season For Scandal by Stephanie Laurens
- Lisa Foreshaw: Arranged Marriage by Sara Hylton
- Cade Riker: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VD4Y66/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=loveromapass-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006VD4Y66">Spring Brides: Three Brides and a Wedding Dress by Judith Stacey
- Tru Mc Cord: Spring Brides: Three Brides and a Wedding Dress by Judith Stacey
- Charlotte Dumont: The Price of Fame by Anne Oliver
- Cayo Vila: A Devil in Disguise by Caitlin Crews
- Luc Duvalier: Exposed: Misbehaving with the Magnate by Kelly Hunter
- Nacho Acosta: A Taste of the Untamed by Susan Stephens
- Miss Angelica Cynster: The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae of Glencrae
- Luke Ripton: Bride by Mistake by Anne Gracie
- Winter Makepeace: Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt
If there are any you want to add to the list you have seen recently - please do, I would love to read them.